Arts & Entertainment Bollywood Hollywood Urban Echo News 

Cineworld to pay over £12,000 for shocking health and safety breach

Cineworld Cinemas Limited have been fined £9500 with £2573.29 costs and £120 victims of crime surcharge after two members of staff received an electric shock from a faulty popcorn machine.

JS33348365The faulty appliance delivered electric shocks to two employees of Cineworld Cinema, Parrs Wood, Didsbury.

The case was brought as a result of an investigation by Manchester City Council after a member of staff received an electric shock turning on the machine on 4 December 2013.

Despite the incident being reported, managers failed to take the appliance out of use and did not place any warning notices on the appliance to ensure it was not used by staff.

Later that evening a second employee received an electric shock when turning off the machine.

Although neither employee suffered serious injury, the consequences of both accidents could have been much more severe or even fatal.

At the Manchester Magistrates’ Court hearing yesterday, Cineworld Cinemas Limited pleaded guilty to two charges under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

Councillor Kate Chappell, Manchester City Council’s Executive Member for Environment, said: “We take the safety of employees extremely seriously- people have a right to work in a safe environment and this company potentially put lives at risk.

“It is imperative that businesses follow health and safety guidelines. On this occasion both employees were lucky not to have suffered serious injury but the outcome could have been much worse.”

Share the joy
  • 2

Related posts

Leave a Comment

Specify Facebook App ID and Secret in Super Socializer > Social Login section in admin panel for Facebook Login to work

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.