FA Cup predictions: Lawro v Dave Beasant & John Aldridge

Home Forums News, Politics and Current Affairs Sport News FA Cup predictions: Lawro v Dave Beasant & John Aldridge

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  admin1 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

admin1
    Keymaster

BBC Sport’s football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

His opponents for selected ties on FA Cup third-round weekend are Dave Beasant and John Aldridge, who were on opposing sides when Wimbledon shocked Liverpool to win the 1988 final.

Beasant famously saved an Aldridge penalty as the ‘Crazy Gang’ triumphed 1-0 at Wembley and recalled the research that he did on the Reds striker’s spot-kick technique before the final.

“I had seen Aldridge take maybe three penalties,” Beasant told BBC Sport. “I said to myself: ‘If I can stand still during his stutter and he sees me standing still, then he tends to go to my left.’ He did.”

Monday’s third-round tie between Liverpool and AFC Wimbledon, who were formed in 2002 and have ownership of the original club’s history, have brought memories of the 1988 final flooding back for those involved.

“People have been mentioning that penalty a lot more since the draw was made,” said Aldridge, “I have watched it again many times since but it is one of those things I have got to live with, unfortunately.

“It is fantastic for Wimbledon that they have got a tie like this to look forward to and it is what they deserve for the work they have done.”

Read more

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.