Throw away ‘dangerous’ hoverboards, Amazon tells customers

Throw away ‘dangerous’ hoverboards, Amazon tells customers

0

Amazon has emailed some customers telling them to dispose of the hoverboards they’ve purchased and request a refund.

Any customer who bought a hoverboard with a “non-compliant” UK plug is being sent an email by the retailer saying the devices are “unsafe” for use.

The retailer, which contacted the affected customers via email, recommends that the devices get brought to recycling centres certified to handle waste electrical and electronic equipment. “We regret the inconvenience this may cause you but trust you will understand that your safety and satisfaction is our highest priority,” the email reads.

While hoverboards—the self-balancing transport devices that in no way actually hover—have exploded in popularity in 2015, they’ve also had a tendency to explode themselves. Many of the boards are built in China, where an effort to get them into the hands of eager customers across the world seems to have prevented many of the boards from getting built to the highest manufacturing standard. They’ve caused multiple house fires in the UK while being left to charge overnight, and in the US, a man in Alabama claims his caught fire while he was riding it.

A second email was also sent to UK-only customers to warn them of faulty plugs and charging connections.

“We’ve received information that your order purchased through the Amazon.co.uk website is unsafe for use as this product is supplied with a non-compliant UK plug,” the email from Amazon read.

In recent days Amazon has removed all listings for hoverboards from its pages until it can verify individual brands are safe.

Argos and John Lewis have also reportedly pulled the scooters from sale.

 

Share the joy
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •